All cars on Turo are non-smoking vehicles. Turo prohibits guests, their passengers, and vehicle hosts from smoking in any vehicle listed on Turo. This policy covers the use of, but is not limited to, any tobacco or tobacco-related products, marijuana or marijuana substitutes, e-cigarettes, or personal vaporizers.
You must provide guests with a smoke-free vehicle. If you smoke in your vehicle or allow anyone else to do so, you shouldn’t list your car on Turo. If a guest smokes in your vehicle in violation of this policy, you must remove the odor and any evidence of smoking before the start of your next trip. If, upon inspecting your vehicle at check-in, a guest detects a smell indicating the use of any of the substances listed above, they can cancel the trip free of charge. If that happens, we’ll refund the guest, and you may not receive trip earnings, and your host metrics may reflect the cancellation.
If a guest returns your car with physical evidence of smoking, you can report the issue and charge a smoking violation fee. If the required photos you submit with the report show an eligible smoking issue, we’ll charge the guest a $250 violation fee, add those funds to your host earnings, and remove the guest from Turo. Given the high cost of the this fee and the serious repercussion for guests, it’s essential you report an issue only if there is clear and irrefutable physical evidence of smoking. The presence of a smoking odor only is not an eligible issue. It’s not grounds for a smoking violation fee nor for removal of a guest from Turo.
Physical evidence of smoking
You must submit photos of physical evidence of smoking when you report a smoking issue. Photos of the following are eligible documentation of a smoking issue:
- Ash or tobacco crumbs that are clearly distinguishable from sand, dirt, or other debris
- Burn marks not present in pre-trip photos
- Evidence of cigarette/cigar (used and unused, wrapping papers, packaging)
- Evidence of marijuana (e.g.,bag of marijuana, buds, roach of a joint, blunt, or rolled-up cigarette)
- Smoking paraphernalia (e.g., e-cigarette pens or cartridges, pipes, wrapping papers, roach clips, lighters in combination with other physical evidence only)
- Screenshot of messaging in which guest admits to smoking
Turo has a separate cleaning and disinfection policy that permits hosts to report cleaning issues caused by irresponsible or abusive behavior and to charge the guest a violation fee.
*Values are in CA$ for Canada, £ for the UK, and US$ for the US and all other countries.