Can I charge a guest for cleaning?
You have up to 72 hours after a trip ends to charge your guest a cleaning fee if they return the car unreasonably dirty. “Unreasonably dirty” means that it requires a great deal more of your time and effort than a quick rinse or vacuuming. We instruct guests to be tidy and respectful but don’t expect them to wash or detail the car unless it's unreasonably dirty. You should expect a car to be returned at a level of dirtiness that comes naturally from travel and use. Keep that in mind before you decide to charge for cleaning, and assess the level of dirtiness as honestly and precisely as you can. Use Turo’s cleaning and disinfection policy and the cleaning fee levels listed below as your guide.
Take and upload to Trip photos clear pictures of the car’s interior and exterior taken no more than 24 hours before trip start and 24 hours after trip end. Turo Go hosts need post-trip photos only. Once you submit your invoice, the guest has 48 hours to pay or dispute it. If they dispute it, you can submit a new invoice with clarifying information to try and resolve the issue, or you can escalate to customer support. If a guest disregards the invoice, you can also escalate to support. We’ll review the pictures you uploaded to Trip photos to determine if you’ll get paid for an escalated invoice. You’ll receive 100% of any approved requested amount. To charge a cleaning fee, open the Trip details page and tap “Charge for incidentals”
Cleaning fee levels
- Excess cleaning — $30*. Significant mud or noticeable interior dirtiness
- Heavy cleaning — $50*. Cases requiring heavy vacuuming or removing light stains or sticky substances
- Severe cleaning — $100*. Major stains on seat fabric or other hard-to-clean surfaces
- Extreme cleaning — $150*. Egregious violations of the Turo cleaning policy that require a full detail or a steam cleaning
- Pet hair removal — $150*. Significant amounts of pet hair and in all cases in which a guest has transported a pet without your approval
- Multiple cleaning issues — $250*. Any combination of cleaning, smoking, and/or pet hair issues
*Values are in CAD for Canada, £ for the UK, and US$ for the United States and all other countries.