Charging a guest for missing gas or a low battery
You have up to 72 hours after a trip ends to charge your guest for not replacing the gas or not recharging the battery in your car.
Note: If a guest returned the car early because of a vehicle- or host-driven issue, you can't charge them for refueling. If you swapped a guest into a new vehicle, you can’t charge them refueling costs for the original vehicle.
- Gas-powered vehicle owners can charge for the cost of the missing gas plus a $10* convenience fee.
- Hybrid vehicle owners can charge for a low battery level as well as the cost missing fuel and a $10* convenience fee.
- Hybrid vehicle owners and electric vehicle owners can charge Idle fees, Supercharger fees up to a maximum of $500*, and fees based on the remaining battery level.
- 0%–20% charge = $50*
- 21%–50% charge = $20*
- 51%–80% charge = $10*
- 81%–100% charge = Not eligible for refueling reimbursement
Note: If a guest leaves your car plugged in at a charging station, they’re responsible for those costs up to 24 hours after the trip ends.
Sending an invoice for refueling costs
- Capture the pre- and post-trip fuel/battery level.
- Take and upload to Trip photos clear photos of the fuel gauge/battery level taken no more than 24 hours before trip start and 24 hours after trip end; OR
- Enter and save the pre- and post-trip fuel level in the app.
- Add a photo of a fuel receipt that shows the number and cost of gallons/liter and cost and is dated no more than 24 hours after the trip ended. (Not required for EV hosts)
- Open the trip Details page and tap “Charge for incidentals” to create the invoice.
- Add a short explanation to make it clear why you’re requesting reimbursement.
- Allow the guest 48 hours to pay or dispute the invoice.
- If the guest pays the invoice, we’ll issue the funds to your trip earnings.
- If the guest disputes the invoice, you have 72 hours to either 1) cancel the invoice; 2) submit a new invoice with clarifying information to try and resolve the issue; OR 3) escalate to customer support. After 72 hours, the invoice will auto-escalate to customer support. An agent will review and resolve the issue and notify you of the outcome. If we approve the invoice, we’ll add to your trip earnings 100% of the requested amount.
- If a guest disregards the invoice, it’ll auto-escalate to customer support for review and resolution by an agent who’ll notify you of the outcome. If we approve the invoice, we’ll add to your trip earnings 100% of the requested amount.
*Values are in CA$ for Canada, £ for the UK, and US$ for the US and all other countries