How to extend or shorten your trip
If you want to keep the car longer or return it early, you must submit a request before the trip starts or while it’s in progress. Follow these instructions to request to extend or shorten your trip:
- Log onto Turo.com or to the Turo mobile app.
- Open your Trips tab.
- Click or tap “Booked.”
- Select the trip you’d like to change.
- Select the “Change trip” button at the top right of the screen.
- Choose “Change trip length.”
- Enter your new start or end time and write a message to your host.
- Submit your request.
What happens after I submit my trip change request?
Once you submit a request to extend or shorten your trip, here’s what happens next:
- We’ll notify your host of your request.
- They’ll have up to 8 hours from the time you made the request to respond.
- If you make a last-minute request that doesn’t allow the host 8 hours, they’ll have up until the scheduled trip start or end time to respond.
- If the host approves your request, we’ll notify you and record the change in Turo.
- If the request was to extend your trip, we’ll charge any balance due to your payment card on file.
- If the request was to shorten your trip, we’ll process any applicable refunds.
- If your host denies your request, we’ll notify you and auto-process any applicable refunds.
How much does an extension cost?
The cost of extending depends on the length of the extension and on your host’s pricing. A host may charge different prices for different days, which might impact the cost of your extension. If there’s any added cost for extending your trip, we’ll display it as a separate line item before you submit your extension request.
You may be unable to extend your trip for any of the following reasons:
- You have insufficient funds.
- The vehicle is unavailable because another guest has booked a trip or the host needs it.
- The host does not respond to the request.
- The host denies the request.
Do I get money back if I end a trip early?
Once your host approves your trip change request, we’ll notify you and refund you for the trip’s unused time. If we charged you a trip deposit, we’ll refund that deposit 80 hours after the new trip end time, as long as your host doesn’t report any issues or damage. If you return the car early without an approved request, we won’t be able to refund you. If you need to end your trip early because of a mechanical or vehicle issue, contact support.turo.com.
Host approval via messaging is not valid
An “OK” from your host via messaging does not count. A trip change is only considered valid if you make the request through the Trips tab and your host approves it. Otherwise, our system won’t know about the change. If you extend your trip without Turo approval, we may charge you a late return fee when you don’t bring the car back at the originally scheduled time. In the case of an unapproved early return, Turo will be unable to refund you for any unused trip time. You’ll still be responsible for any parking tickets or tow charges the car receives for up to 24 hours after the scheduled trip end time
Early check-in/checkout via the app
If you and your host are ready to start or end the trip a little early, you can do so without processing a trip change. This is an exception to the instructions above and can only be done via the Turo mobile app. You can complete the in-app check-in flow an hour before the trip start time for early pickup. You can complete in-app checkout three hours before the trip end time for an early return. You and your host must communicate about and agree to the change in Turo messaging. Turo doesn’t charge or credit hosts or guests for early pickups or returns arranged via the app.