How do I extend or shorten my trip?
If you want to change the start or end time of your trip to keep the car longer or return it sooner, you must submit a request via Turo before the trip starts or while it’s in progress. You’ll be unable to submit via the system once the trip has ended. A trip change is only valid if you make the request through Turo and your host approves it. If you extend your trip without approval via the Turo system, we may charge you a late return fee. If you make an unapproved early return, we’ll be unable to refund you for any unused trip time. And you’ll still be responsible for any parking tickets or tow charges the car receives for up to 24 hours after the scheduled trip end time.
To request to extend or shorten your trip, follow these instructions:
- Log onto turo.com or to the Turo mobile app.
- Open your Trips tab.
- Click or tap “Booked.”
- Select the trip you’d like to change.
- Select the “Change trip” button at the top right of the screen.
- Choose “Change trip length.”
- Enter your new start or end time and write a message to your host.
- Submit your request.
What happens after I submit my trip change request?
Once you submit a request to extend or shorten your trip, we’ll notify your host. How far in advance you submit the request determines how much time your host has to respond. They’ll have up to 8 hours unless you’ve made a last-minute request that doesn’t allow that much time. If that’s the case, they’ll have up until the scheduled trip start or end time to respond. If the host approves your request, we’ll notify you, record the change in Turo, and charge any balance due or process any refund. If they don’t respond or deny your request, you must begin and end the trip at the booked times.
How does an extension affect my trip cost?
The cost of extending depends on the length of the extension and on your host’s pricing. Some things to note:
- A host may charge different prices for different days, which might impact the cost of your extension.
- If there’s an added cost for extending your trip, we’ll display it as a separate line item before you submit your request.
- If your host offers duration discounts and you extend for an additional 3+, 7+, or 30+ days, we’ll apply the current, corresponding discount to the trip price* for the added days.
- If you’ve paid for delivery and extend a trip so that it reaches the number of days for which the host offers free delivery, you will not be eligible for a refund of your delivery fee.
*Trip price is the sum of the daily price for each day that the vehicle is booked.
Do I get money back if I end a trip early?
If you shorten a trip for which you received a duration discount and the trip then falls below the discount threshold, you may owe an additional amount. We’ll compute the new discount, if any, using the current discount in place at the time of the change request. If there’s a balance due, we’ll display it as a separate line item before you submit your request. If your host accepts, we’ll charge you the balance due. If your early return results in a refund, we’ll notify you when your host accepts the change and refund you for the trip’s unused time. If we charged you a trip deposit, we’ll refund that deposit 80 hours after the new trip end time, as long as your host doesn’t report any issues or damage. If you return the car early without an approved request, we won’t be able to refund you. If you need to end your trip early because of a mechanical or vehicle issue, contact support.turo.com.
Why can’t I extend my trip?
You may be unable to extend your trip for any of the following reasons:
- You have insufficient funds
- The vehicle is unavailable because another guest has booked a trip or the host needs it
- The host does not respond to the request
- The host denies the request
Early check-in/checkout via the app
If you and your host are ready to start or end the trip a little early, you can do so without processing a trip change. This is an exception to the instructions above and can only be done via the Turo mobile app. You can complete the in-app check-in flow an hour before the trip start time for early pickup. You can complete in-app checkout three hours before the trip end time for an early return. You and your host must communicate about and agree to the change in Turo messaging. Turo doesn’t charge or credit hosts or guests for early pickups or returns arranged via the app.