The Reimbursement tool (located on the Trip page) and Claims resolution tool provide hosts the opportunity to request reimbursement for post-trip incidentals and/or damage. Commercial Hosts are not permitted to use the Reimbursement tool or Claims resolution tool.
Permitted uses of the Reimbursement tool and Claims Resolutions tool
- Excess mileage
- Tickets and tolls
- State taxes (see below)
Claims resolution tool
- Interior and external damages
- Mechanical damages to the vehicle
- Key replacements
Non-permitted uses of the Reimbursement tool and Claims Resolution tool
The Reimbursement tool and Resolution tool are offered in good faith to hosts for only these eligible options and will not be used to file for:
- Payments for anything other than the reasons listed above
- Wear and tear
- Pre-existing damages or issues with the vehicle interior and/or exterior
- Reopen or double charge a guest for a previously resolved case
- Costs for payment processing, time, and anything outside of Turo's policies
- Fees for inconvenience outside of what Turo already charges
- Using the incorrect field choice (such as using “Fuel” to request cleaning reimbursement or damage)**
If the tool is misused, Turo will deny the request, refund the guest’s payment by taking it back from the host, and fine the host $50*** per transaction. Multiple reports of misuse will be grounds for permanent removal from Turo. Turo also reserves the right to increase this fine in the event that the case also includes Material or Vehicle Misrepresentation as stated in our Fees and Fines page.
Turo also allows hosts to use the Reimbursement tool in the event a host needs to collect tax to remit for income tax, or for the payment of a government mandated tax. Hosts may require payment of these taxes if they're registered to collect and remit taxes for sharing their car. This excludes Maryland and Indiana state tax and Quebec Sales Tax (QST), which are already built into the price at checkout. The tax must be clearly stated on the vehicle listing page description and explained to the guest in Turo Messaging at the time of booking in order to be eligible for reimbursement. Hosts must use the Tickets/tolls field in the tool to make this request. If we believe that a host has abused the reimbursement tool, we reserve the right to require the host to provide evidence supporting their registration and remittance with the appropriate taxing authority.
* Cleaning and smoking reports may be manually processed in certain high-cost situations.
** Hosts submitting a reimbursement request for state tax should use the Tickets and Tolls field in the Reimbursement tool.
***Values in Canadian dollars (CAD) for trips in Canada, euros (€) for trips in Germany and all countries in the eurozone, pounds (£) for trips in the United Kingdom, and US dollars (US$) everywhere else, including locations where Turo is available outside of the United States.