Will I be charged a security deposit?
Turo charges a security deposit when:
- The car is Deluxe Class or Super Deluxe Class
- Our security system chooses a US trip based on the trip’s details and other factors
How much do you charge for a security deposit?
- Guests ages 25-29 who book a Deluxe Class car pay a $750 deposit.
- Guests who book a Super Deluxe Class car pay a $750 deposit.
- Trips chosen by our security system for cars that aren’t Deluxe or Super Deluxe Class require a deposit of up to $200.
- Guests ages 25-29 who book a Deluxe Class car pay a $1,500 CAD deposit.
- Guests who book a Super Deluxe Class car pay a $1,500 CAD deposit.
- Guests who book a Deluxe Class car pay a £500 deposit.
- Trips with Commercial Hosts never require a Turo deposit.
How do I know if I’m being charged a security deposit?
If you’re charged a security deposit, we’ll process it as a separate transaction. You’ll see one transaction for the trip and one for the deposit. We’ll outline both costs and display them on the checkout page before you submit your trip request.
Can security deposits be waived or reduced?
In all cases, our system automatically applies a security deposit, and neither Turo nor your host can waive it. Guests in the US can receive a $250 discount and guests in Canada can receive a $500 CAD discount by submitting their personal insurance information. Enter your insurance details when the system prompts you to do so. You must enter this information at the time of booking. We can’t apply the discount once you submit your trip request.
When will my security deposit be refunded?
We’ll automatically refund a security deposit 80 hours after your trip ends. Your bank may take up to 10 days -- although it’s typically 3-5 business days -- to return the funds to your account.
- If you dispute a host’s reimbursement request within that 80 hours, we’ll freeze the deposit. If we resolve the dispute for the host, we’ll use the deposit to reimburse the host and refund you any remaining deposit amount.
- If a host requests reimbursement and you don’t respond within that 80 hours, we’ll use the deposit to reimburse the host and refund you any remaining deposit amount.
- If a host files a damage claim within that 80 hours, we’ll freeze the deposit. Once we resolve the claim, we’ll use the deposit to cover the damage and refund you any remaining deposit amount. If we find that the claim is ineligible or that the host is responsible, we’ll refund you the full deposit amount.
You can read our full Security Deposit policy on the Turo website.