Deposits make the marketplace safer, increase vehicle satisfaction, and lower costs to you. They also bring more hosts with more cars to Turo. That means more choices when it comes to finding the best car for a trip.
Turo charges a security deposit when:
- you book Deluxe Class and Super Deluxe Class cars
- you’re chosen by our security system
- We charge a security deposit to roughly 30% of new and returning guests who book a trip in the US.
- Your auto insurance score, the trip’s details, and some other factors determine the charge.
In all cases, our security system automatically applies these deposits. Neither Turo nor a host can waive a deposit.
Deluxe Class cars
The United States and Canada
- Guests ages 25-29 who book a Deluxe Class pay a $1500 deposit.
- Guests who book a Deluxe Class car aren’t required to pay a deposit.
The United Kingdom
- Guests who book a Deluxe Class car pay a £500 deposit.
Super Deluxe Class cars
The United States and Canada
- Guests who book a Super Deluxe Class car pay a $1500* deposit.
- You can submit your personal insurance information to receive a $500 discount.
- Enter your insurance details when the system prompts you.
- We can’t apply the discount once you submit your trip request
Other United States cars
US guests chosen by our security system pay a deposit of up to $250. Once the system charges you a security deposit, it’ll charge you a deposit on all future trips. The Turo system processes the deposit as a separate transaction. It itemizes the trip costs and the deposit costs and display them on the trip checkout page.
We’ll never charge guests who book a trip in a high-value car a second security deposit. Guests who book with a Commercial Host won’t be subject to a Turo security deposit.
We’ll automatically issue a security deposit refunds 80 hours after your trip ends. Then, your bank may take up to 10 days -- usually three to five business days -- to return the funds to your account.
- If you dispute a host’s reimbursement request within that 80 hours, we’ll freeze the deposit. If we resolve the dispute for the host, we’ll charge the cost to your payment method on file. If that payment method fails, we’ll use the deposit to reimburse your host. We’ll refund the deposit balance, if any, to you.
- If a host requests a reimbursement and you don’t respond within that 80 hours, we’ll charge your payment method on file. If your payment method fails, we’ll use the deposit to reimburse the host. We’ll refund the deposit balance, if any, to you.
- If the host files a damage claim within that 80 hours, we’ll freeze the deposit and subtract the initial damage coverage cost from it. Once we resolve the claim, we’ll refund the balance, if any, to you. If we find you’re not at fault for the damage, we’ll refund you the full deposit amount.
You can read our full Security Deposit policy on the Turo website.
*Values are in CAD for trips in Canada, € (euros) for trips in Germany and all countries in the eurozone, £ (pounds) in the United Kingdom, and US$ for trips in the United States.