If you’re a host whose guests may drive in London, be aware that your guests may incur one of these charges:
- London Congestion Charge: a fee charged to cars that operate in the Congestion Drive Zone (CDZ) of London at weekday peak hours
- Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) charge: a fee for vehicles that operate in the CDZ but don’t meet the zone’s emissions standards
The simplest, most cost-effective way to handle these charges is to create a Transport for London account and sign up for auto-pay. Then you can request reimbursement for the charges from your guest. Guests can pay the charges themselves, but if they don’t, you may be charged at a higher rate and be unable to recover the full amount via reimbursement. Read on to learn how guest payment works and how you can easily make and track payments and request reimbursement.
- Guests can pay the London Congestion Charge and the ULEZ charge up to 90 days in advance.
- If the guest doesn’t pay by midnight on the following charging day, a bill for the penalty will be mailed to you.
- Deadline to pay for a charge if issued on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday is midnight Monday. If Monday is a bank holiday, the deadline is Tuesday.
- Include the payment links listed above in your vehicle description to make it easy for guests to pay.
- You must include the fact that your vehicle is not ULEZ compliant in your vehicle listing to be eligible for reimbursement.
Transport for London account
- You must create a Transport for London account and sign up for auto-pay. With this, you can ensure your guest is only ever charged the reduced daily charge for the zone.
- If you have an account, TFL can notify you of charges instantly instead of by mail.
London Congestion Charge: The daily congestion charge is £15, if it’s paid on the day or if you’re signed up to auto-pay. If you pay by midnight of the third charging day after travel, you’ll pay a charge of £17.50. If the charge remains unpaid, you'll receive a penalty charge notice of £130, which is reduced to £65 if paid within 14 days.
ULEZ charge: The initial cost of a ULEZ charge is £12.50. If the charge isn’t paid within 24 hours, the cost is increased to £80.
Turo permits hosts to submit a reimbursement request for either one full congestion or one ULEZ charge. After that, we’ll only accept and process requests for the daily charge. If you’re a fleet owner, apply for auto-pay here. If you have fewer than 5 vehicles, sign up here.
- The Reimbursement tool will remain open for 90 days after the trip ends for you to submit your request.
- You may request a full reimbursement (without auto-pay) once for either the congestion charge or the ULEZ charge. After that, we’ll void any full reimbursement requests and submit at the daily rates of £15 and £12.50, respectively.
- Late payment and non-payment fees are not eligible for reimbursement.
- We may be unable to collect reimbursement for charges that are submitted without documentation.