TuroUK Ltd. (Turo UK) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Aon UK Ltd., which is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The protection plans Turo makes available to hosts and guests in the UK are arranged by Aon UK Ltd. and provided by Allianz Insurance plc.Those protection plans address three important concerns: Third-Party Auto Liability Insurance; Financial Responsibility for Physical Damage to the Shared Vehicle; and Additional Services (like Roadside Assistance).
This article focuses primarily on guests. Many host-specific items are discussed in this article for host protection plans. In this article, the word “guests” is used to mean the primary guest as identified in the trip booking, as well as any authorized secondary driver, unless otherwise stated.
Third-Party Auto Liability Insurance
All Turo protection plans include coverage for guests under a third-party automobile liability insurance policy arranged for TuroUK by Aon UK Ltd. and provided by Allianz Insurance plc.
- Allianz Insurance plc is an insurance company that is part of the Allianz Group. Subject to terms, conditions, and exclusions, the Allianz Insurance Policy provides guests with the following kinds of coverage while they are driving the booked vehicle during the booked trip.
- Bodily injury and property damage to third parties:
○ The Allianz policy insures guests against liability to third-parties for bodily injury and property damage resulting from the use of the booked vehicle during the booked trip, up to £20 million. This coverage cannot be declined. Note, however, that it does not apply to vehicles that are booked on Turo from a Commercial Host.
○ The primary guest is covered up to £20 million for third-party property damage. Under UK law, death/bodily injury to a third party receives unlimited coverage.
- The third-party liability insurance coverage provided to guests under the Allianz Insurance Policy is always primary to any other applicable insurance the guest may have (such as a motor vehicle insurance policy covering vehicles owned by the guest).
Financial Responsibility for Physical Damage to the Shared Vehicle
Turo protection plans also address the primary guest’s liability for any damage to the booked vehicle that takes place during the booked trip.
- The primary guest is responsible to return the booked vehicle on time and in essentially the same condition it was in when they first received it. The primary guest is financially responsible for all Physical Damage to the booked vehicle, as well as Related Costs (as defined below), up to the amount of excess as specified by the protection plan the primary guest chooses. If, for example, there is Physical Damage to the booked vehicle during the period of the booked trip, the primary guest will be legally liable for the costs of repair, minus the amount of excess associated with the protection plan the primary guest chose before the trip began.
o Note: Primary guests can protect themselves against an allegation that damage to the booked vehicle occurred during the period of the booked trip by documenting the condition of the booked vehicle, including any existing damage, at the start of the booked trip. Documentation can be done by uploading trip photos at the start of the trip, uploading pictures and a description to support.turo.com at the start of the trip, or documenting an agreement as to the condition of the booked vehicle and any existing damage with the host by using our “Trip Checklist” or similar means.
- When a primary guest books a vehicle on Turo, the primary guest agrees that if any Physical Damage to the booked vehicle occurs during the booked trip, the primary guest will work with Turo to make a claim for coverage.
- Auto liability insurance policies that cover physical damage generally include two categories of physical damage, although variations do exist.
Collision: This is physical damage caused by a collision during the operation of the vehicle, such as when two vehicles hit each other, or when a single vehicle hits an object.
Comprehensive: This is physical damage to the car caused by something other than a collision, such as theft, fire, animal impacts, vandalism, falling objects, and acts of nature (windstorm, flood, etc.).
- Primary guests can contractually limit the amount of excess that they are legally obligated to pay in the event that there is Physical Damage to the reserved car. Primary guests may choose from three (3) options.
- “Premier” plan: Under the Premier plan, the amount of excess that the primary guest is liable to pay for Physical Damage (other than Mechanical or Interior Damage) to the reserved car during the reservation, plus Related Costs, is contractually limited to £250.
- “Standard” plan: Under the Standard plan, the amount of excess that the primary guest is liable to pay for Physical Damage (other than Mechanical or Interior Damage) to the reserved car during the reservation, plus Related Costs, is contractually limited to £750. When damage is reported, the primary guest will be charged the full £750. If the costs of the damage, plus all Related Costs, minus insurance collected, are less than £750, the difference will be refunded.
- “Minimum” plan: Under this plan, the amount of excess that the primary guest is liable to pay for Physical Damage (other than Mechanical or Interior Damage) to the reserved car during the reservation, plus Related Costs, is contractually limited to £2,000. When damage is reported, the primary guest will be charged the full £2,000. If the costs of the damage, plus all Related Costs, minus insurance collected, are less than £2,000, the difference will be refunded.
The contractual limitation of liability included in the Premier, Standard, and Minimum protection plans:
- ONLY apply if the primary guest and each approved secondary driver abides by the Terms and Conditions;
- ONLY apply to the amount the primary guest is obligated to pay in excess of insurance that is available and has been collected; and
- ONLY apply to Physical Damage that is not Mechanical or Interior Damage.
When you, as a primary guest, are deciding which Turo protection plan to choose, here are some important considerations:
- Terms of Service violations. For the Premier, Standard, and Minimum plans, if the guest or any of their approved secondary drivers violates the Terms of Service, engages in any Prohibited Uses or otherwise intentionally, recklessly, or with wanton disregard, misused the car, the contractual limitation of liability is void and does will not apply. That means that the primary guest will be fully liable for physical damage, including up to the actual cash value of the car, in addition to all Related Costs.
- Mechanical or Interior Damage. The contractual limitation of liability available under the Premier, Standard, and Minimum plans does not apply to damage caused to the interior of the vehicle or mechanical damage caused during the booked trip (not normal “wear and tear”). Regardless of which Turo protection plan the primary guests choose, the primary guest is legally liable for the full cost of the repairs or replacement, as well as Related Costs, for interior damage or mechanical damage caused during the booked trip.
- Physical Damage. “Physical Damage” means any damage to the booked vehicle, including Mechanical Damage and Interior Damage.
- Related Costs. "Related Costs" include all costs and fees resulting from damage of any kind to the booked vehicle during the booked trip, including but not limited to, estimation or appraisal costs, storage fees, towing fees, repair or replacement costs, registration or transfer taxes, claims processing costs and all similar or associated costs, minus any residual salvage value that is collected. Claims processing costs vary, but are typically up to £500 per claim. If a third party accepts total fault for the claim and that third party’s insurer processes it on behalf of the host without substantial processing by Turo’s third party claims administrator, the guest will be refunded the claims processing fee.
REMINDER! If you have elected to book a vehicle from a Commercial Host who is providing commercial rental liability insurance directly to you, none of the above applies, and you will not be offered a protection plan during the checkout process. Please refer to the listing or contact the Commercial Host for information about any insurance or protection available to you, including any related fees.
If you have additional questions regarding selecting among these options, please consult your insurance professional, or contact us at support.turo.com.