Offering Extras is optional, but they’re a great way to earn more and delight guests. Extras are usually conveniences, such as unlimited mileage or post-trip cleaning. They can also be gear, such as tents, or skis, or picnic baskets.
We auto-opt all new listings into offering prepaid refuel and post-trip cleaning Extras. Guests love the convenience of these two popular Extras. And they give hosts the chance to earn more. If you’ve been opted in to these Extras, you can change the price assigned to them or remove them. If you decide to offer Extras, they must be in safe, working order and perform as described. Guests don’t need approval from their hosts to add or remove Extras before the trip starts.
How to add Extras
- Go to your Vehicle listing.
- Select the Extras tab.
- Tap “Add an Extra”.
- Search the 50+ Extras available.
- If you search for an Extra that’s not in our database, you’ll be prompted to suggest it.
- Some types of Extras are better priced per-trip (such as post-trip cleaning) while others are better priced per-day (such as unlimited mileage).
Extras aren’t covered by any Turo protection plan, so you’ll keep 90% of the cost any Extras your guests purchase. We typically can’t help with lost or damaged Extras, so it’s important that you set clear expectations about how guests should use and care for Extras. You’re welcome to request guest reimbursement related to Extras. If you do, it’ll be outside of Turo, without our involvement, and in compliance with our Terms of Service.
Hosts may NOT:
- require guests to purchase an Extra to book a car
- list Extras that are lewd or inappropriate
- use the Extras feature to collect a deposit or “convenience” fee
- list weapons or any illegal items
- list food, alcohol, or drugs
- offer use of rentable properties such as houses, condos, apartments, etc.
- offer tow functionality or services
- violate Turo’s Terms of Service, Prohibited uses, or Community Guidelines
We may remove your listing or remove you from Turo if you violate these conditions.
Prepaid refuel or prepaid EV recharge
Offering prepaid refuel or prepaid EV recharge means your guests don’t have to refuel/recharge your car before returning it. If you offer this Extra, keep these things in mind:
- Factor in the cost and time involved in refueling/recharging your car when you set your price.
- You can’t submit a reimbursement request for refueling/recharging if your guest has purchased a refueling Extra.
- Guests are more likely to purchase this if you offer it as a per-trip option rather than a per-day option.
- We automatically add this Extra to all new listings.
Offering an unlimited mileage Extra allows your guests to exceed the set maximum number of miles or kilometres included for a trip. If you offer this Extra, keep these things in mind:
- You can’t submit a reimbursement request for mileage overage if a guest purchases this Extra.
- Price this as a per-day option. This lets you account for any added wear and tear your vehicle might receive if your guest requests and you approve a trip extension.
Offering a post-trip cleaning Extra means your guest doesn’t have to clean your vehicle before returning it. If you offer this Extra, keep these things in mind:
- Price this as a per-trip option to make it more appealing to guests.
- We add this Extra to all new listings.
- You can’t submit a reimbursement request for post-trip cleaning, but if a guest returned the car extremely dirty, we may make an exception. If you feel the post-trip cleaning fee you set isn’t enough to cover the car’s cleanliness issues, review our Cleaning Policy and reach out to Customer Support.
Offering a one-way trip Extra lets a guest pick up the car at one location but return it to a different location. If you offer this Extra, keep these things in mind:
- Write a detailed description and make clear what accommodations you can and can’t make for one-way trips. For example, you may be happy to retrieve your car from two cities away but not from across the country.
- Coordinate the details carefully with your guest before the trip starts.
- Build any costs related to retrieving your vehicle at the end of the trip into your price.
To avoid submitting ineligible reimbursement requests, keep track of which guests purchased Extras. You can see them in Trip Details.