Hosts are expected to provide their guests with a clean car at the start of the trip. If a guest receives a car that is not clean, they should contact Customer Support at the start of their trip.
In turn, guests must return the car in the same or better condition in which they originally received it. In the event that a guest returns a car dirty, hosts should also contact our support team.
Guests and hosts can reach out to support here.
In order for us to process cleaning claims, Turo requires hosts to send us before and after photos within 24 hours of the trip ending, including photographs of the interior of the vehicle (middle console, interior front seats and floor, interior back seats and floor at minimum). The “before” photographs must have been taken before the host provided the car to their guest, and no more than 24 hours before the trip’s scheduled start. The “after” photographs must have been taken after getting the vehicle back from the guest, and no later than 24 hours after the scheduled end of the trip. We recommend using the trip check-in and checkout feature in the Turo app to help expedite the cleaning claim. Once Turo has reviewed the documentation, the host will receive reimbursement based on the severity of the claim, as outlined below; the guest will be charged in accordance with this policy.
Cleaning Fees and Fines
The levels of cleaning and the reimbursement amount they entail are as follows.
Ineligible for reimbursement
- Minimal amounts of trash.
- Small amounts of crumbs, sand, or dirt on floor mats that can be shaken off.
- Small marks that can be cleaned off with a towel.
Light cleaning - $30
- Car exterior is returned significantly* dirtier than how it was received (e.g. dirt on car body, wheels, or windows).
- Floor mats or upholstery are returned significantly* dirtier than how they were received (e.g. requires more than a shake-out to be restored to original condition).
- Large amounts of crumbs, sand, dirt, or food byproduct are left in the car.
*Turo will use its discretion to determine what is considered significant.
Medium cleaning - $50
- Light stains or residue on hard surfaces (e.g. liquid spills or sticky substances).
Heavy cleaning - $100
- Major stains or residue on seat fabric or other hard-to-clean surfaces.
Severe cleaning - $150
- Situations in which a car contains the aforementioned violations on an egregious level that would require steam cleaning or a full detail.
Pet hair - $150
- If a pet enters a vehicle at any time without a host’s consent, the guest will be held responsible for having the car cleaned.
- Hosts may still charge cleaning fees if they give consent and the car is returned with significant amounts of pet hair.
- Service animals are not excluded from this policy.
Smoking - $50 or $150
- $50 for smoke scent removal only.
- $150 for smoke scent removal and physical remnants of smoking (e.g. ash, cigarette butts). If there is damage to your car (e.g. a burn mark), you should submit a damage claim, not a cleaning reimbursement.
Maximum - $250
- In the event that a car is returned with multiple cleanliness issues (such as a combination of severe cleaning and smoking remnants), the maximum fee that will be assessed is $250.