Hosts are required to provide you with a clean and disinfected car. We encourage you to contact your host via trip messaging before the trip to ask about their cleaning and disinfecting routine. You have the right to refuse a vehicle and cancel a trip if, upon inspection at check-in, you’re concerned that it hasn’t been cleaned and disinfected. We’ll refund you for the trip or help you book another vehicle as long as you follow the processes outlined below. We won’t require you to provide evidence but do strongly encourage you to take and share with us photos of the vehicle’s condition.
Reporting cleanliness concerns when checking in for a Turo Go trip
If you’ve booked a Turo Go car, begin the check-in process and assess the vehicle’s condition as you go through check-in. If, at any point, you judge that the vehicle wasn’t cleaned and/or disinfected, stop. Do not complete check-in and immediately contact Customer Support
- If you contact us before the scheduled start of the trip, we’ll help you cancel the trip and find a replacement car.
- If you contact us up to 2 hours after the scheduled trip start time, we’ll reach out to the host to coordinate ending the trip early.
- If you contact us more than 2 hours after the scheduled trip start time, you won’t be eligible for a refund.
Reporting cleanliness concerns when checking in for non-Turo Go car
If you’re completing an in-person check-in, ask your host to stay until you’ve inspected the vehicle’s condition. If you’re checking in remotely without the host being present, inspect the vehicle thoroughly to assess cleanliness. In either case, if you have concerns that the car wasn’t cleaned and/or disinfected, do not accept the car. Do not check in for the trip and immediately contact Customer Support. We’ll cancel the trip and issue you a refund or help you find a new car.
You aren’t expected to clean or disinfect the car upon return; however, if you return a car unreasonably dirty, you may be subject to fees. “Unreasonably dirty” means that it requires a great deal more of the host’s time and effort than a quick rinse or vacuuming. Review the Cleaning fee levels table below to see what’s considered unreasonably dirty beyond normal use. If you purchase a Cleaning Extra from your host, you don’t have to clean the car before returning it and can return it with Moderate level cleaning required. However, your host could still charge you a cleaning fee if the vehicle requires Heavy or Severe cleaning. Purchasing a Cleaning Extra doesn’t allow you to smoke in the vehicle. Hosts, guests, and their passengers are forbidden from smoking in any vehicles on Turo. If there is clear evidence that you or your passengers smoked in a car, we’ll remove you from the platform. Purchasing a Pet Extra doesn’t mean you have no responsibility for keeping the car clean. Turo has a separate smoking policy and pet policy you can review for more information.
Cleaning fee levels
- Moderate cleaning — up to $50*
- Car exterior is returned significantly muddier than it was received. Examples are: mud on car body, wheels, or windows
- Floor mats or upholstery are returned significantly dirtier than they were received. (For example, carpeted mats require more than a shake-out or rubber mats require more than a quick wash to be restored to original condition.)
- Large amounts of food, dirt, or mud that can’t be shaken out and must be heavily vacuumed to remove
- Light stains or residue on hard surfaces. Examples are: liquid spills or sticky substances
- Mud, sticky substances, and heavy dirt buildup. Significant mud or noticeable interior dirtiness
- Heavy cleaning — $100*
- Major stains or residue on seat fabric or other hard-to-clean surfaces
- Severe cleaning — $150*
- A vehicle has suffered the violations noted above on an egregious level that would require steam cleaning or a full detail
- Pet hair removal — $150*
- Significant amounts of pet hair
- If a host’s vehicle is not labeled “pet friendly” and a guest transports a pet without their permission
- Multiple cleaning issues — $250*
- Any combination of cleaning, smoking, and/or pet hair issue