Hosts are required to provide you with a clean and disinfected car. You can contact your host via Trip messaging to ask about their cleaning and disinfecting routine. You have the right to refuse a vehicle at check-in and cancel a trip if, upon inspection, you’re concerned it hasn’t been cleaned and disinfected. We’ll refund you for the trip or help you book another vehicle as long as you follow the processes outlined below.
Reporting a cleanliness issue
If you’re meeting your host to check-in, ask them to stay until you’ve inspected the vehicle’s condition. If you’re checking in remotely without the host being present, inspect the vehicle thoroughly to assess cleanliness. If you have concerns that the car wasn’t cleaned and/or disinfected, do not accept the car. Do not check in for the trip. Take photos that show the car’s condition and immediately call customer support at 1-415-963-4109 (US), 1 888 391 0460 (Canada), or 44 0808 164 1454 (UK). We’ll cancel the trip and issue you a refund or help you find a new car.
You aren’t expected to clean or disinfect the car before returning it to your host. However, if you return the car in a condition that only could have been caused by irresponsible or abusive behavior, your host can report the issue to Turo. When they do, the customer support team will review the evidence. If it clearly shows an eligible cleaning issue, we’ll charge you a cleaning violation fee of $150 plus a 3% processing fee. In some circumstances and at our full discretion, we may also remove you from Turo.
Eligible cleaning issues
A host can report and charge a violation fee for the following issues:
- Biowaste or bodily fluids
- Spills or waste that requires cleaning inside of vents or between the door panel and window
- Major stains or residue that covers a large area of the vehicle’s interior and would require steam cleaning or a full detail
- An extreme amount of caked on mud, dirt, sand, or insects that requires professional-level exterior detailing
- Significant amounts of pet hair
Ineligible cleaning issues
A host cannot report or charge a violation fee for the following issues:
- Small interior messes of items that can be thrown away, wiped up, or vacuumed (e.g., food wrappers, beverage bottles, sand, dirt, crumbs)
- Exterior dirt, mud, or sand that can be removed by a car wash
- Water stains, minor food or beverage spills, or sticky substances on the vehicle’s interior or exterior
- Unpleasant odors
Turo has a separate No smoking policy that permits hosts to report physical evidence of smoking. If there’s clear evidence that you or your passengers smoked in a car, we’ll close your account, and you’ll be unable to use Turo.
*Values are in CA$ for Canada, £ for the UK, and US$ for the US and all other countries.