Turo’s top priority is the safety and security of the guests and hosts in our marketplace. For this reason, we prohibit hosts and guests from requesting, accepting, or making payments outside of Turo. Paying for all trips and related costs through Turo offers the best protection against fraud and allows Customer Support to verify pertinent information in the event of a dispute, no-show, or issue with a trip.
Transactions Turo is unable to guarantee or condone include, but are not limited to, paying for the following types of items outside of Turo (i.e. via PayPal, cash, check, credit card, Square, Bitcoin, Venmo, or any other method of payment):
- Trip costs
- Trip extensions
- Additional usage and late fees
- Mileage overage charges
- Reimbursement for cleaning costs
- Reimbursement for tickets or tolls
- Reimbursement for fuel replacement costs
- Payment for Extras
- Vehicle protection
- Guest payment to a host for a damaged Extra
- Host cash payment or reimbursement to guest for paid parking at a delivery location
- Payments to Commercial Hosts outside of basic trip costs and extension fees
- Commercial Hosts are hosts who decline a Turo protection plan and instead offer their own commercial rental liability insurance to guests. In this limited circumstance, a Commercial Host may collect payment for insurance, protection plans, CDW, claims, mileage, fuel, deposits, a young driver fee, or late fees outside of the Turo platform.
Additional information for hosts
Participating in gray market transactions will void any Turo-provided coverage (liability insurance and physical damage protection) for the trip in question, including protection for accidents, damage claims, roadside assistance, and any support we might provide in usual circumstances. When payments are made outside of Turo, it limits our ability to monitor and assist, and in some situations voids our ability to complete the transaction on a host’s behalf. In addition, we’re unable to issue reimbursement for late returns, mileage overages, and tickets and tolls without proof of payment through our marketplace.
Additional information for guests
When payments are made outside of Turo, it limits our ability to monitor and assist, and in some situations voids our ability to assist in a dispute. Without proof of payment through our marketplace, we cannot protect against a guest being double-charged for gas, mileage, violations, or other additional fees.
The Reimbursement tool is the best way to make payment to a host for a reimbursement. It’s an added layer of security to make sure all transactions are monitored and tracked.
If a host asks you to make a payment of any kind outside of Turo, please contact Customer Support.