How much will I receive in replacement vehicle reimbursement?
Reimbursement for replacement vehicles reimburses hosts for costs incurred by booking alternate transportation while their car is in the shop due to damage that occurred during a guest’s trip with their car. Depending on the protection plan you select, you may be eligible for replacement vehicle reimbursement while your primary vehicle is being repaired, is non-operational, or has not been returned as scheduled at the end of a trip. Your reimbursement amount, maximum, and requirements depend on your plan and your location. See the details below listed by country.
Hosts in the US
- If you chose the Premium or Standard plans (available before July 1, 2020) may receive reimbursement for up to $30/day up to a maximum reimbursement of $300 (10 days).
- If you choose the 60 plan (available as of July 1, 2020) you may receive reimbursement for up to $50/day up to a maximum of $500 (10 days) and a full $500 payout if the vehicle is deemed a total loss. If you choose to receive replacement vehicle reimbursement, you won’t be eligible to receive loss of hosting income.
- If you choose the 70 plan (available as of July 1, 2020) you may receive replacement vehicle reimbursement, for up to $30/day up to a maximum of $300 (10 days) and a full $300 payout if the vehicle is deemed a total loss.
Hosts in Canada
- If you choose the protection plan made available through Turo, you may receive replacement vehicle reimbursement of up to $75/day up to a maximum of $500.
Hosts in the UK
- If you choose the protection plan made available through Turo, you may receive up to £35/day up to a maximum of £350 (10 days) in Turo travel credit through the Turo platform.
What kind of replacement transportation can I use?
In the US and Canada, you may book a replacement vehicle through Turo or Intact*, use a ridesharing service (Uber, Lyft, taxi), use public transportation (bus, train, subway), or rent from a commercial rental agency (e.g. Avis, Budget). In the UK, you may book a replacement vehicle through Turo using the travel credit provided. Vehicles “rented” or borrowed from or trips provided by family, friends, or other known acquaintances are not eligible for reimbursement.
*The option for a replacement vehicle through Intact is available only to hosts in the Canadian provinces of Alberta, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec.
How do I get reimbursed?
To receive reimbursement, hosts in the US and Canada must provide copies of detailed receipts and invoices of the amounts paid per day for the transportation option(s) selected. A Claims agent will review the documentation and provide reimbursement accordingly. In the UK, we’ll issue Turo travel credit incrementally for vehicles undergoing repair or issue the maximum amount up front if your vehicle is deemed to be a total loss.
Scenario: Your car is in the shop for five days being repaired. You chose the 60 plan and had the following transportation expenses for each of those days – $40, $55, $0, $0, $45. We’ll reimburse you $40 for the first day, $50 for the second day $0 for the third and fourth days, and $45 for the fifth day – for a total of $135.
If I have more than one car on Turo, do I still get replacement vehicle reimbursement?
If you have multiple vehicles and have chosen a plan that provides reimbursement, you’ll be eligible for up to one replacement vehicle reimbursement or travel credit equivalent at any given time. If you have more than two vehicles, you’re not eligible for reimbursement for replacement vehicles unless all your vehicles are either actively booked on Turo trips or are being repaired.
If you’re a Commercial Host -- that is, a host who provides their own commercial rental insurance to your guests -- you are not eligible to receive replacement vehicles or compensation for a replacement vehicle.