Replacement vehicle reimbursement – US and Canada hosts
Some host protection plans include replacement vehicle reimbursement eligibility for costs incurred when you book alternate transportation while your primary vehicle is being repaired or is non-operational due to damage that occurred on a guest’s trip. Under these plans, eligibility for replacement vehicle reimbursement also applies if your vehicle is not returned as scheduled at the end of a trip.
If you have multiple vehicles and have chosen a plan that offers replacement vehicle reimbursement, you’ll be eligible for up to one replacement vehicle reimbursement or travel credit equivalent at any given time. If you have more than two vehicles, you won’t be eligible for reimbursement for replacement vehicles unless all your vehicles are either actively booked on Turo trips or are being repaired.
You may book a replacement vehicle through Turo or use a ride sharing service or taxi. You may also use public transportation or rent from a commercial car rental agency. Hosts in Alberta, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec also have the option to book a replacement vehicle through Intact. Vehicles “rented” or borrowed from or trips provided by family, friends, or other known acquaintances are not eligible for reimbursement.
The following protection plans include eligibility for replacement vehicle reimbursement:
Hosts in the US
- 60 plan – You may receive reimbursement for up to $50/day up to a maximum of $500 (10 days). You may receive a full $500 payout if the vehicle is deemed a total loss. If you choose to receive replacement vehicle reimbursement, you won’t be eligible to receive loss of hosting income.
- 70 plan (available before July 19, 2021) – You may receive replacement vehicle reimbursement, for up to $30/day up to a maximum of $300 (10 days). You may receive a full $300 payout if the vehicle is deemed a total loss.
- 75 plan (available as of July 19, 2021) – You may receive replacement vehicle reimbursement, for up to $30/day up to a maximum of $300 (10 days). You may receive a full $300 payout if the vehicle is deemed a total loss.
Hosts in Canada
- Standard plan – You may receive replacement vehicle reimbursement of up to $75/day up to a maximum of $500.
How many days of replacement transportation am I eligible for?
Turo will verify with your shop the number of days required to repair your car. We’ll compare it to the number of hours listed on the estimate to ensure it falls within a reasonable period. We define reasonable period as one day of replacement transportation for every four hours of labor on the estimate. If the math is uneven, for example 25 hours divided by 4 hours = 6.1, we’ll round up. If the repair timetable includes any weekend days, Turo will reimburse you for your replacement vehicle costs for those days as well.
How do I get reimbursed for a replacement vehicle?
To receive reimbursement, you must provide copies of detailed receipts and invoices of the amounts paid per day for the transportation option(s) selected. A Claims agent will review the documentation and provide reimbursement accordingly.
Example: Your car is in the shop for five days being repaired. You chose the US 60 plan and had the following transportation expenses for each of those days – $40, $55, $0, $0, $45. We’d reimburse you $40 for the first day and $50 for the second day. We’d reimburse you $0 for the third and fourth days and $45 for the fifth day. Your reimbursement total would be $135.
Courtesy cars – UK hosts
If you’re a UK host who chooses the 65 plan, you may be eligible for a courtesy car up to a maximum of £350 per claim if you meet all of the following criteria:
- have only one car listed on Turo
- have filed a damage claim with Turo for the car or have reported a late return
- repairs are estimated to take more then three days, or it’s been more than three days since the trip ended and the car hasn’t been returned
- repairs are performed by a mechanic in the repair network of our claims management vendor
The Turo claims management vendor will explain to you which courtesy cars are available for your use and offer the cars. Offers are subject to its terms and conditions including insurance, incident and breakdown coverage, and daily mileage allowances. You’ll be responsible for any extra charges incurred and additional mileage charges for exceeding the daily mileage allowance. If no car is available, Turo will provide up to £350 in Turo travel credit per claim. We’ll issue Turo travel credit incrementally for vehicles undergoing repair. We’ll issue the maximum amount up front if your vehicle is deemed to be a total loss.