Canceling a guest’s trip can seriously disrupt their plans and impact confidence in the Turo community. We encourage you, whenever possible, to find an alternative arrangement that works for you and your guest.
Flight delays and cancellations
If a guest contacts you to modify a trip because of a flight delay or cancellation, please be communicative and flexible. It’s not your guest’s fault that their circumstances have changed, so we ask that you do your best to accommodate them. If you must cancel a guest’s trip after a flight delay or cancellation, we’ll refund your guest and you won’t receive payment for the full trip. We’ll pay you the equivalent of one day of earnings (based on the cost of the first day) for the trip only if you’ve made an effort to reschedule with them via Turo messaging.
Turo assesses penalties for hosts who cancel booked trips, including “Book Instantly” trips. If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of the trip, we’ll deduct a $50* fee from your next payment. If you cancel more than 24 hours before the start of the trip, we’ll deduct a $25* fee. We’ll also post an automated review on your listing that shows the cancellation. If you cancel often, your host metrics will be affected, your placement in search results may be negatively impacted, and we may remove your vehicle(s) from search results.
Turo may, at its sole discretion, waive cancellation penalties under certain circumstances, which may include:
- Host cancellation was due to the circumstances of a previous Turo trip (e.g. vehicle damage, late return). Please note that you are prohibited from canceling one Turo trip to allow another guest to extend their trip.
- Host cancellation was due to a verifiable natural disaster, a death in the family, or serious injury.
- Guest rebooked another trip with that same host.
- Trip was booked instantly, and host has a reasonable fear for the safety of their vehicle and/or themselves. When canceling, these hosts should select the reason “I’m uncomfortable with this trip” so that Turo is alerted to the situation. This option is only available for “Book Instantly” trips.
- The guest specified in Turo messaging that they intend to engage in a policy violation during the booked trip.
- If your guest rebooks their trip with you within 24 hours after you cancel, the cancellation review and the fee will be automatically waived.
- The fee will also be automatically waived if it’s your first cancellation out of your past 10 booked trips.
Turo will decide whether or not to waive a cancellation penalty based on available evidence and at its sole discretion. We don’t guarantee that the cancellation penalty will always be waived in the examples noted above. Turo will not waive cancellation penalties for other circumstances not listed here.
If you’d like to request that we waive a cancellation penalty, contact customer support, and we’ll review your request.
Please note that asking your guest to cancel for you is prohibited. Repeatedly canceling trips or encouraging guests to cancel on your behalf to avoid penalties may result in additional fines and affect your standing in our community, including removal from the marketplace.
You can read our full Cancellation Policy.
* Values are in CA$ for trips in Canada, € (euros) for trips in Germany and all countries in the eurozone, £ (pounds) in the United Kingdom, and US$ for trips in the United States and all other countries where Turo is available.