Before canceling a trip with your guest
Canceling a guest’s trip can seriously disrupt their plans and impact confidence in the Turo community. We encourage you, whenever possible, to find an alternative arrangement that works for you and your guest. You may incur a fee for canceling a trip and receive an automated review on your listing that notes the cancellation. Read the section below on Host cancellation penalties and consult our Cancellation policy for complete details about host and guest cancellations.
How to cancel a trip with your guest
If you absolutely must cancel a trip with your guest, follow these instructions:
- Log onto Turo.com or the Turo mobile app.
- Open your Trips tab.
- Click or tap Booked.
- Choose the trip you need to cancel.
- Select the “Change trip” button.
- Click or tap “Cancel trip.”
Can I ask my guest to cancel a trip for me?
Please note that asking your guest to cancel for you is prohibited. See the instructions above for how to cancel a trip. Repeatedly canceling trips or encouraging guests to cancel on your behalf to avoid penalties may result in additional fines and affect your standing on Turo. This includes the possibility of being removed from our platform.
What if my guest’s flight is delayed or canceled?
If a guest’s flight is delayed or canceled or they experience a lost baggage delay, they must message you to let you know and request a trip modification for a new start time. We expect you to make a good-faith effort to accommodate a new trip start time. Remember, it’s not your guest’s fault that their circumstances have changed. You must document your efforts to accommodate a new trip start time in Turo messaging. If you cannot or do not accommodate a new start time and the trip must be canceled, you won’t receive any host earnings for the trip. If you do make a good faith attempt to reschedule the trip, but both you and your guest aren’t able to agree on a satisfactory trip modification and the trip must be canceled, Turo will issue you partial earnings depending on the length of the trip. See the chart below for details and complete information about host and guest cancellations in Turo’s Cancellation policy.
Host earnings - Trips canceled for flight delays, flight cancellations, or lost baggage
More than 2 days
Host’s share of 1 day's average trip cost + 50% of any delivery fee
2 days or less
Host’s share of 75% of 1 day's average trip cost + 50% of any delivery fee
Host cancellation penalties
Turo assesses penalties for hosts who cancel booked trips, including “Book Instantly” trips. If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of the trip, we’ll deduct a $50* fee from your next payment. If you cancel more than 24 hours before the start of the trip, we’ll deduct a $25* fee. We’ll also post an automated review on your listing that shows the cancellation. If you cancel often, your host metrics will be affected, your placement in search results may be negatively impacted, and we may remove your vehicle(s) from search results.
If you must cancel a trip and you’re an All-Star Host at the time of cancellation, we’ll waive the cancellation fee. You will receive an automated cancellation review on your public profile but can respond to the review to explain why it was necessary for you to cancel. Keep in mind that cancellations will still impact your performance metrics, so frequent cancellations could result in loss of your All-Star status.
Can I have my cancellation penalty waived?
Turo may, at its sole discretion, waive host cancellation penalties under certain circumstances that may include:
- Host cancellation was due to the circumstances of a previous Turo trip (e.g. vehicle damage, late return). Please note that you’re prohibited from canceling one Turo trip to allow another guest to extend their trip.
- Host cancellation was due to a verifiable natural disaster, a death in the family, or serious injury.
- Canceled guest rebooks a trip with you within 24 hours after you cancel their trip. In this case, Turo will also remove the automated cancellation review.
- It’s your first cancellation out of your past 10 booked trips.
- Trip was booked instantly, and you have a reasonable fear for the safety of your vehicle and/or yourself. When canceling, you must select the reason “I’m uncomfortable with this trip” so that Turo is alerted to the situation. This option is only available for “Book Instantly” trips.
- The guest specified in Turo messaging that they intend to engage in a policy violation during the booked trip.
Turo will decide whether or not to waive a cancellation penalty based on available evidence and at its sole discretion. We don’t guarantee that the cancellation penalty will always be waived in the examples noted above. Turo will not waive cancellation penalties for other circumstances not listed here. If you’d like to request that we waive a cancellation penalty, contact customer support, and we’ll review your request.
* Values are in CA$ for trips in Canada. They’re in € (euros) for trips in all countries in the eurozone and in £ (pounds) in the United Kingdom. Values are in US$ for trips in the United States and all other countries where Turo is available.