We recommend that you contact your guest 24 hours before the trip starts to check in and confirm their trip.
If you’re using the Turo app for your mobile phone, the easiest way to make sure the key exchange goes smoothly before and after the trip is by following the steps in the guided handoff process. We’ll walk you through each step to make sure you and your guest are on the same page, the state of the car is documented, and you’re covered in case something happens during the trip.
If you’re proceeding with the key exchange without using the guided handoff feature, here are the steps you’ll want to make sure you follow.
Before your guest arrives:
- Make sure your Turo insurance card is in your car.
- Make sure all personal items are out of the car. We don’t cover the loss of any personal items left in the car.
- Make sure your car is clean and has at least a half tank of gas. We recommend that you fill the tank completely, so it’s easy for you and your guest to confirm the gas was replenished.
When your guest arrives to get the keys. (If you are doing a remote hand-off, see here):
- Check his or her driver's license to make sure the person picking up your car is the person that booked the trip. You must also check that the license is currently valid.
- Walk around your car and agree on any existing damage inside or outside the car.
- Take clear photos of all areas of the vehicle for which you may seek damage coverage.
- Take photos of the odometer and agree on the starting mileage.
When the trip is over:
- Walk around the car again to ensure there is no new damage. Check outside and inside your car.
- Check the gas level and odometer and agree on whether or not the gas was replaced, as well as if they drove additional miles/kilometers during the trip. Take photos of the odometer just in case you need reimbursement.
To report any issues with the car or trip (gas level, additional miles/kilometres, damage, etc.), we ask that you first contact your guest to discuss the situation. Once discussed, send us an email with any additional charges that he or she incurred, along with any supporting documentation, by going to http://support.turo.com.