Do I need a separate insurance card to rent my car out?

Liability insurance (provided by Intact in Canada, and Nautilus and Great Divide in the U.S.) are active during each trip where the owner is not a commercial rental car company who has declined a Turo protection package and is offering liability insurance directly to their renters. Please make sure your registration, your personal insurance card, and the relevant Turo insurance card are in the car, accessible to your traveler during the trip. If there is an incident during a trip, the traveler and any third parties should refer to the Turo insurance ID card; the number for claims reporting is located on the back (where you have not chosen to offer your own rental liability insurance directly to travelers). If you have chosen to offer rental insurance to your travelers, ensure your commercial rental insurance card is in the vehicle and your renters know where it is located. Claims for these trips should be processed exclusively through you own commercial rental insurance provider, not Turo.

The Turo insurance card does not satisfy state or provincial "Financial Responsibility" requirements, and cannot be used to register your car. Furthermore, neither of these cards may be used for New York vehicles (vehicles that are registered or whose home location is New York state).

State laws vary; in California, Oregon, and Washington, personal car sharing legislation requires that your Turo insurance ID card be included in the vehicle.

Please note that there are different insurance cards — one for Arizona, one for the other 48 states (excluding New York), and others for the relevant Canadian province. Please ensure that you have the correct insurance card for your location, and that in Canada, you also print and include the Canada Accident Advice Card.

Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk