Your vehicle must comply with all laws and regulations regarding safety, condition, and operation. Regulations vary by location, and we expect you to remain compliant with local mandates, including any winter safety requirements. Failure to do so will result in a $100* fine and an additional $200* administrative fee if we must dispatch roadside service. You can learn more about our fees and fines here.
You should get a vehicle mechanical and safety inspection at least once a year to ensure your car is safe to operate. An inspection will include a check of your car’s most critical safety items, including brakes, steering parts, tires, and lights. Tires must have 4/32” tread depth or more, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) light cannot be lit, and brakes must have a minimum of 25% life to meet our requirements.
To further help maintain your vehicle’s high standards, we suggest reading about vehicle misrepresentation here and material misrepresentation here. We may remove any vehicle that has not been maintained from our platform.
If we learn of a quality, safety, or maintenance issue with your vehicle, we may temporarily restrict your listing and ask you to get a mechanic’s report using the Turo Vehicle Inspection Form (attached below).
If your vehicle has been restricted by Turo, follow these steps to get your car back on the road.
Once we receive the form, a support agent will review the documentation and contact you about next steps. Be sure to include the shop’s contact information when you submit your form so we can speak with the inspector directly if we have questions. You can submit a completed form here and select “Car issue,” then “Restricted vehicle”.
Maintenance requirements for listing
Below is a list of Turo’s vehicle listing requirements:
- Visual overview and legal registration
- Certificate of registration
- License plate(s) decal
- Valid insurance
- Brake tests
- Parking brake
- Service brake, 25% life or more
- Exhaust system
- Undamaged exhaust system components/muffler
- No visible blue or black smoke
- Steering and suspension
- Steering wheel and box
- Suspension/front end
- Vehicle height
- Sound horn to test for adequate signal
- The horn must be securely fastened to the vehicle
- Glazing, glass, and windshield wipers
- Windshield, no cracks; no chips in the line of sight
- Windshield wipers and washer in working order
- Windows, no cracks
- Tint to legal specifications
- Engine and powertrain
- Engine, including all subcomponents
- Cooling system
- Lubrication system
- Electrical and electronic management systems
- Transmission, including clutch, torque converter, and similar components
- All fluids and lubricants
- No check engine light, warning lights, or recalls
- Visibility and lighting devices
- Headlight aim
- Headlights and rear lights working, no bulbs burned out
- Hazard lights, directionals/stop/reverse lights, and license plate light(s)
- Rear view mirror
- Mirrors (general)
- Tires and wheels
- 4/32” or greater tread depth
- Six years old or newer
- Seat belts and airbags
- No airbag warning lights or recalls
- No safety restraint system (SRS) or occupant classification system (OCS) warning lights or recalls
- Body, including all seals and panels
- No hanging body panels
- No damage to the floor pan, cowl panel, or structural pillars
In the UK, you must confirm that annual servicing to the vehicle has been carried out and that an MOT test has been performed where required (e.g. vehicles more than three years old).
* Amounts are in CA$ for hosts based in Canada, € (euros) for hosts based in Germany and all countries in the eurozone, £ (pounds) for hosts based in the United Kingdom, and US$ for hosts based in the United States and all other countries where Turo is available.