A trip’s total cost is made up of these elements:
- Trip Price: This is a vehicle’s listed rate multiplied by the trip length. Each host sets their own standard daily rate or lets Turo’s Automatic Pricing feature decide the rate. Hosts can also manually change the price of individual days. The Trip Price reflects any increase or decrease to the vehicle’s standard daily rate.
- Trip Fee: This fee is a variable percentage of up to 25% of the Trip Price. Guests are shown the exact amount during checkout. It covers the costs of our 24/7 support, platform security and upgrades, and vendor fees.
- Protection Fee: This is the cost of the protection plan you choose. Turo offers a Premier plan in the US, and Standard, Minimum, and Decline (Minimum in the UK and Germany) plans in the US, Canada, Germany, and the UK. Each costs a different amount. Commercial Hosts provide some vehicles in these regions and all vehicles in other countries where Turo is available. Commercial Hosts -- not Turo -- manage and price insurance costs for their vehicles, and these costs are generally not charged through Turo. The vehicle listing should indicate if the host is charging for their own protection plan separately or if the cost is included in the Trip Price.
- Young Driver Fee: We charge guests between the ages of 21-24 the greater of 30% of the trip price or up to $15 per day. This cost does not apply to guests who book a trip with a Commercial Host. Commercial Hosts may charge this as a separate fee. If so, it will be noted in the vehicle listing.
- Delivery Fee: If a host offers airport delivery or delivery to a custom location, they may charge a delivery fee. The cost will be shown with the full pricing breakdown of the trip.
- Extras: Some hosts offer Extras to their guests, and each host sets their own price for these items. If you choose to purchase an Extra, we’ll show the cost at checkout.
- Security deposit: We may charge a security deposit of up to $250 to some new and returning US guests. When we charge the deposit, it’s based on the guest’s auto-insurance score and the trip’s details, along with some other factors. We also charge a security deposit ($1000 or $1500) to guests under age 30 who book Deluxe vehicles and to all guests who book Super Deluxe vehicles. These deposits can’t be waived or removed. Deposits are refunded 80 hours after a trip ends unless a host files a reimbursement or damage claim.
- Maryland tax: The state of Maryland in the US requires us to collect an 8% tax from guests whose trip begins or ends in Maryland. The tax applies to the full trip cost, except deposits. We show guests this tax as a line item at checkout.
- Quebec sales tax: The province of Quebec in Canada requires us to collect the Quebec Sales tax of 9.975% on services Turo provides. You can read the details of this tax and how it’s applied here. We show this tax as a line item at checkout.
- Commercial Hosting Fees: If you book with a Commercial Host, they may charge added fees, and those may vary from host to host. All costs should be listed in their vehicle description.
- After-trip costs: Hosts may request reimbursements for fuel, cleaning, tickets, tolls, and additional mileage through the Reimbursement tool. If the charge is not correct, you must dispute it within 72 hours of the trip end by uploading documentation to the Trip Photos. Some US hosts, depending on the state, may request taxes via the Reimbursement tool. If a host is going to charge for tax, they must state it in their listing and confirm it with you after you’ve requested a trip.
Turo displays the Trip Price and related costs differently from region to region. It’s shown in Canadian dollars (CA$) for trips in Canada. It’s shown in euros (€) for trips in Germany and all countries in the eurozone. It’s shown in pounds (£) for trips in the UK. It’s shown in US dollars (US$) for trips in the US and everywhere else.
If you book a vehicle from a Commercial Host, you agree on final cost of the trip directly with the host at or before the trip start. There may be added costs that Turo does not charge that will be billed directly by the vehicle host.