Each host decides the rate they’ll charge a guest to book their vehicle or lets Turo’s automatic -pricing feature decide. That rate is displayed on their vehicle listing.
A trip’s total cost is made up of these elements:
- Trip Price: A vehicle’s listed rate multiplied by the trip length equals the Trip Price. Hosts can change the price of individual days using our price-by-day feature. The Trip Price will adjust to account for any increase or decrease to the vehicle’s original rate.
- Trip Fee: This fee is a variable percentage of up to 25% of the Trip Price. Guests are shown the exact amount during checkout. It covers the costs of our 24/7 support, platform security and upgrades, and vendor fees.
- Protection Fee: This is the cost of the protection plan you choose. Turo offers Premium, Basic, and Decline (Minimum) plans in North America and Germany. Each costs a different amount. Commercial Hosts provide some vehicles in the United States, Canada, and Germany, and all vehicles in other countries where Turo operates. Turo does not provide nor manage protection for these vehicles. Commercial Hosts manage and price insurance costs for their vehicles. These costs are generally not charged through Turo. The vehicle listing should indicate if the host is charging for their own protection plan separately or if the cost is included in the Trip Price.
- Young Driver Fee: Guests between the ages of 21-24 are charged the greater of 30% of the trip price or $10. This cost does not apply to guests who book a trip with a Commercial Host. Commercial Hosts may charge this as a separate fee. If so, it will be noted in the vehicle listing.
- Delivery Fee: If a host offers airport delivery or delivery to a custom location, they may charge a fee for that service. The cost will be shown with the full pricing breakdown of the trip.
- Extras: Some hosts offer Extras to their guests, and each host sets their own price for these items. Guests are not required to purchase Extras. If they do, we show the cost at checkout.
- Deposit: We may charge a security deposit ($100 - $400) to a small segment of guests in general. We also charge a security deposit ($1000 or $1500) to guests under age 30 who book Deluxe vehicles and to all guests who book Super Deluxe vehicles. These deposits can’t be waived or removed. Deposits are refunded 80 hours after a trip ends. If a host files a reimbursement or damage claim, the deposit is frozen.
- Maryland tax: Maryland law requires that we collect an 8% tax from guests whose trip begins in Maryland. The tax applies to the full trip cost, except deposits. Guests are shown this tax as a line item at checkout.
- Commercial Hosting Fees: If you book with a Commercial Host, they may charge added fees, and those may vary from host to host. All cost details should be explained in their vehicle description.
Turo displays the Trip Price and related costs differently from region to region. In Canada, it’s shown in Canadian dollars (CA$). In Britain, it’s shown in pounds (£). In Germany and all countries in the eurozone, it’s shown in euros (€). In the US and everywhere else, it’s shown in US dollars (US$).
When you book a Turo-protected vehicle, we show you the full cost of your trip at checkout. Be sure to verify the full amount before you submit your trip request. Your payment card is authorized when you request a vehicle. It’s charged when the host accepts your request.
If you book a vehicle from a Commercial Host, you agree on final cost of the trip directly with the host at the trip start. There may be added costs that Turo does not charge that will be billed directly by the vehicle host.