Different cars are priced differently across various regions. The unique prices are displayed on each listing. The price of the trip and associated costs will be listed in Canadian dollars (CAD) in Canada, pounds (GBP) in Britain, and US dollars (USD) everywhere else, including locations where Turo operates outside of the United States. Each owner chooses how much they’d like to charge to rent out their car, or uses automatic pricing. However, they all follow the same pricing structure. A trip’s total cost is made up of the following components:
- The car's Trip Price: This is the amount you see when you multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle (e.g. $40/day) by the duration. If the owner has elected to offer a discount or change the price of individual days (by using our price-by-day feature), the Trip Price will be adjusted to account for any increase or decrease to the vehicle’s original rate.
- Trip Fee: The Trip Fee is an additional variable percentage fee (up to 15% of the Trip Price), depending on the details of your trip (such as trip price or trip length). You will be shown the exact amount during checkout and have the opportunity to approve all fees before your card is charged. The Trip Fee is retained by Turo and addresses a number of costs, including the cost of maintaining our marketplace, our 24/7 customer support in the US, and processing fees.
- Protection Fee: This is the cost of the protection plan you choose, if available in your region and for the vehicle you have selected. We have Premium, Basic, and Decline available as options in North America, and they each cost a different amount. Some vehicles in the United States and Canada, and all vehicles in other countries where Turo operates, are covered by owner-provided insurance that is not managed by Turo. Those insurance costs are managed and priced exclusively by the vehicle owners and may vary, and are generally not charged through the Turo platform. The vehicle listing should indicate if the owner is providing their own protection package charges for this amount separately, or if it is included in the Trip Price.
- Young Driver Fee: There is a 30% or $10 fee of the Trip Price if you are under 25 years of age (whichever is greater). This cost does not apply to those travelers who are renting a car with owner-provided insurance, although those owners may choose to charge this separately, as noted in the vehicle listing.
- Delivery Fee: If you request a car that the owner delivers to you, the owner may opt to charge a fee for the delivery. The amount may vary based on the owner's settings, but the cost will be included with the full pricing breakdown when you book a trip.
- If you are renting a vehicle with owner-provided insurance anywhere in the world, additional fees and fines are subject to vary between owners, but all cost information should be available in the vehicle description.
With the exception noted above for vehicles with owner-provided insurance, you are presented with the full cost of your trip when you request a car — please verify the full amount in the trip summary before sending your trip request, as your payment card is authorized when you request a car. Once again, if you are renting a vehicle where the owner is providing insurance, the final cost of the trip is agreed upon at the trip start directly with the owner. There may be additional costs that Turo does not charge on the platform that will be billed directly by the vehicle owner
In addition to the initial trip cost, you may be charged for additional items including excess mileage, parking tickets, extensions costs, cleaning fees, etc. based on your trip and whether or not you extend your trip.