Payment methods we accept
- Most credit cards issued by major financial institutions. These can include American Express and Discover cards.
- Debit cards with a Visa or Mastercard logo that are linked to a checking account
- Revolut card
- Apple Pay on mobile devices in all locations and Google Pay on mobile devices in Canada and the US
- SEPA and SOFORT for trips in Germany
Payment methods we don’t accept
- Prepaid cards (with the exception of Revolut)
- Reloadable debit cards (like Simple, Chase Liquid, or EDD debit cards)
- Temporary bank cards
- Cards that aren’t linked to a bank account
- Payment methods not in your name
- Use a credit card rather than a debit card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, SEPA or SOFORT. Your bank will typically process any refund or a release of an authorization on a credit card much faster than the other payment methods.
- If you’re booking a car in a country other than your home country, notify your payment card provider. This will prevent them from declining the charge or blocking your access to your card while they verify the transaction.
Credit cards and Revolut
If you’re using a credit card or Revolut, we’ll charge a $1 payment authorization when you submit a trip request. If the host accepts the request, we’ll refund the $1 and charge your account for the full amount. If the host declines, we’ll refund the $1. Funds are typically released to your account within 1 business day but may take longer depending on your bank.
Debit cards and SEPA
If you’re using a debit card, we’ll charge an authorization for the full trip amount when you submit a trip request. If a host accepts the request, the charge will be processed. If the host declines, the authorization will be released. It may take several days for the funds to be accessible in your account, depending on your bank’s policies.
Apple Pay and Google Pay
If you’re using Apple Pay or Google Pay, we’ll authorize for the full trip cost when you submit a trip request. That’s because neither of these payment methods allows for partial authorizations. If the host accepts the request, the payment will be charged. If the host declines the request, we’ll refund the payment. Apple Pay and Google Pay can take up to 30 days to return the funds to your account.
There’s no authorization process for SOFORT payments. If you’re using SOFORT, we’ll charge the full cost of the trip when you submit a request. If the host declines the trip, the payment will be refunded. Refunds typically take 5 to 10 business days.
If you choose a vehicle to “Book Instantly,” we’ll charge the full trip amount at the time you book, regardless of how you paid.
Troubleshooting card issues
There are typically three reasons why you might see an online message that your card can’t be verified or that there’s a problem with your card.
- You’re using a prepaid card that we don’t accept.
- The only prepaid card we accept is Revolut.
- We process the billing address and card number exactly as you enter it. Then your bank determines whether the card can be verified. Most verification issues are tied to a problem with the address.
- Some banks are very particular about the address format. Check your billing statement or call your bank to get the exact address format for your card.
- If the problem is with your zip code, try any previous addresses or try the bank's zip code.
We have no other way to verify the card since the denial is coming from your bank. The best thing to do is to contact your card issuer or bank for further details. You could also use a different payment method.
Hosts can request reimbursement for costs related to:
Learn more about paying and disputing reimbursement requests.