Checking in to start a trip
Here’s what to plan for and expect when you check in for a trip:
- If you’re meeting your host in person, you must present your current, valid license.
- If you’re completing a contactless check-in, you’ll need to upload the following to Trip photos within 24 hours of the trip start time:
- A close-up photo of your driver’s license with the first few digits of the license number hidden.
- A selfie of you holding your license next to your face.
- The primary driver must be the one to check in and pick up the car.
- If you have a US or Canadian temporary license, contact customer support in advance of your trip to confirm we’ll accept it. Call 1-415-965-4525 (US) or 1-888-391-0460 (CA).
- In the US, your temporary license must have a photo of you on it. If it doesn’t, you must also present one piece of valid government ID.
- In Canada, you must always present one piece of valid government ID along with your temporary license.
- If your license is expired, invalid, or you send an additional driver to pick up the car, we’ll consider you a no-show, cancel the trip, and may issue you a partial refund.
- If you're late to pick up the car and didn't upload verification photos, your host may report you as a no-show, in which case, we’ll cancel the trip, and may issue you a partial refund.
- Once you’ve completed verification, document the condition of the car. If you discover it doesn’t meet legal requirements, is unsafe to drive, or hasn’t been cleaned, don’t complete check-in and report the car as unsafe or unsatisfactory.
Note: Your host must either hand you or give you access to the car’s keys — even if the car is equipped with remote locking and unlocking. If they don’t, contact Customer Support at 1-415-965-4525 (US), 1-888-391-0460 (CA), 44 0344 243 8660 (UK).
Checking out at the end of a trip
When you return your host’s vehicle at the end of a trip, be sure to:
- Refill the fuel or recharge the battery to the same level it was at check-in.
- Take dashboard photos showing the mileage and fuel/charge level.
- Tidy up the vehicle with these cleaning guidelines and fee reminders in mind.
- Take and upload interior and exterior photos that show the cleanliness and any damage.
- If you’re parking on the street, make sure you choose a spot that's legal and safe for the next 24 hours. You’re responsible for any parking tickets incurred within 24 hours after the trip end.