About additional drivers
Review these guidelines before adding a driver to your trip:
- Additional drivers must have their own Turo account and get approved to drive on the trip. Hosts can’t add a driver to your trip.
- You can add a driver if you’ve chosen a Turo protection plan. If you’ve booked with a Commercial Host, you must ask them if they allow additional drivers.
- There’s no cost for adding drivers.
- You can add up to 6 drivers to most trips.
- You, as the primary driver, must be present at check-in and checkout. An additional driver is not permitted to pick up or to return the vehicle.
- If you book a trip with Turo Go, you must be present at all times when your additional drivers are driving.
- You are financially responsible for all costs related to the trip.
- Additional drivers cannot become primary drivers. To make this change, you must cancel the trip. Then, the additional driver must rebook the car.
- Additional drivers in the UK have some extra approval requirements.
How to add a driver
You can add a driver to your trip by following the steps below:
- Log in to Turo.com or the Turo mobile app.
- Open your Trip page.
- Open the “Booked” tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the “Drivers” section.
- You’ll be listed as the primary driver.
- Enter the email address of your additional driver.
- If they have a Turo account, enter the email address associated with their account.
- If they’re already an approved Turo member, we’ll auto-approve them to drive on your trip.
- If they don’t have a Turo account or we haven’t yet approved them, we’ll email them approval instructions.
- We require additional drivers in the UK to submit a DVLA report to Turo. Among the driving history requirements they must meet are:
- they must have had their license for more than two years
- they may not have had a traffic collision causing an accident in the past three years
Try these troubleshooting measures if you have difficulty adding a driver to your trip:
- You don’t see the option to enter an email address for an additional driver.
Check that you’ve added a Turo protection plan to your trip. If you’ve booked with a Commercial Host, you must ask them about adding a driver. You can’t do it on Turo.
- Your additional driver doesn’t receive our email instructions. Double-check that you entered their email address correctly. Ask them to double-check all their inboxes, especially their Spam folder.
How the approval process works
Request to add an additional driver as early as possible. Here’s how the approval process works:
- We’ll notify you and your additional driver whether they’re approved or denied.
- If you’re a guest in the US or Canada you can see your driver’s confirmation status on your Trip Details:
- Approval pending: they’re going through the process
- Approved: they’re permitted to drive
- Not approved: they’re not permitted to drive
- If we approve your driver, we’ll notify your host.
- The primary driver (that’s you!) must be present at the start and end of the trip and remains solely financially responsible for the trip.
Consider these troubleshooting measures if your additional driver is slow to be approved:
- Your additional driver’s status has been “Approval pending” for more than 24 hours. It might mean that we require some extra documentation to complete their verification. If that’s the case, we’ll let them know.
- If your additional driver wasn’t approved, it’s likely for one of these common reasons.
If your additional driver has questions, they can chat with a Verification agent.