Requesting to add a driver to a trip
Have your driver create a Turo account and get approved to drive before you submit your request to add them to your trip. Check to see that they meet the age requirements for the car you’ve booked. If they don’t, they’ll be ineligible to drive on the trip.
Submit your request via the Turo system at least 24 hours before your trip starts. If we need additional documentation to complete their verification, the process could take longer. If necessary, guests in the US and Canada can request to add a driver while a trip is in progress. There’s no fee or additional charge for adding a driver.
If you’ve booked a trip with a Commercial Host, you can’t add a driver via Turo. You must contact your host directly to make your request.
As the primary driver, you must be the one to pick up and return the car. You also assume all financial responsibility for the car during the trip. If you’ve booked a Turo Go car, you must be present at all times when your additional driver is driving. Do not allow anyone who wasn’t approved by Turo to drive. Doing so will void your protection plan.
Follow these steps to request and track approval of an additional driver:
- Log onto Turo and open the Trips tab.
- Choose Booked and open the trip you’re interested in.
- Scroll down to the section labeled DRIVERS.
- Tap Add driver.
- Enter the email tied to your additional driver’s Turo account.
- If they don’t have a Turo account, enter a valid email address they check regularly.
- Tell them to look for an email from Turo in their inbox and, if they don’t see if there, to check their spam or junk folder.
- Open your Trip details page to see your additional driver’s approval status.
- If we’re unable to approve your additional driver, we won’t discuss the reason with you, but your driver would be welcome to contact us.
- They should first review these common reasons why they may not be able to drive on Turo.
Note: If your driver receives an email from us saying they were approved, they’re permitted to drive on the trip, even if there’s been no change to their approval status on the Trip details page. This disconnect can occur if the driver created a Turo account using an email address that was different from the email you entered when you requested to add them to your trip.