How to request an additional driver on a trip
Follow the steps below to add a driver on your trip. To speed up the process, have your driver create a Turo account and get approved to drive before you request to add them to your trip. Make sure they meet the age requirements for the car you’ve booked. Only you can request to add a driver; your host can’t do it for you, and you must make your request before the trip starts. There is no fee or additional charge for adding a driver. If you run into a problem, see the “Troubleshooting” suggestions below. To request to add a driver to your trip:
- Log onto Turo.com or the Turo mobile app.
- Open the Trips tab at the top of the screen.
- Choose Booked from the dropdown menu.
- Open the trip you’re interested in.
- Scroll down to the section labeled DRIVERS.
- Tap Add driver.
- Enter the email address associated with your additional driver’s Turo account. If they don’t have a Turo account yet, enter a valid email address they check regularly.
- Look for a status update on your Trip details page or an email from us letting you know if your driver has been approved.
As the primary driver, you must be the one to pick up and return the car. You also assume all financial responsibility for the car during the trip. If you’ve booked a Turo Go car, you must be present at all times when your additional driver is driving. Do not allow anyone who was not approved by Turo to drive. Doing so will void your protection plan.
If you have trouble adding a driver, check the following:
- Check that you’ve entered your driver’s email address correctly.
Be sure you’ve used an email address that’s active and accessible to your driver. Ask them to double check all their inboxes, especially their Junk and Spam folders.
- Be sure UK drivers meet our additional driver requirements.
Additional drivers in the UK must: 1) have had their license for more than two years; 2) have had no traffic collision causing an accident in the past 3 years; and 3) submit a DVLA check code to Turo. Learn more about additional drivers in the UK.
- Open your Trip details page to see your additional driver’s confirmation status. (US and Canada only)
- Approval pending: They’re going through the approval process
- Approved: They’re permitted to drive
- Not approved: They’re not permitted to drive
- Know that you won’t see a change to your driver’s confirmation status if they joined Turo with an email address other than the one you submitted.
Check with your driver and ask what email address they used to get approved. If it doesn’t match the one you gave us, they won’t show up as “Approved” on the Trip details page, even though we may have approved them. If your driver received an email from us saying they were approved, they’re permitted to drive on the trip.
- Allow more than 24 hours for approval.
We work to approve drivers as quickly as possible. However, we might need to contact your driver for more verification documentation, and that’ll add time to the process.
- Understand that if your additional driver wasn’t approved, we can’t discuss that with you. Your driver is welcome to contact us. They should first review these common reasons why they may not be able to drive on Turo.