Turo charges by the day, with discounts for weekly and monthly rentals. There is no hourly rate.
You may arrange for a trip to begin and end at any mutually agreeable time; the smallest unit charged is a day. The guest may select a duration of up to 26 hours before they are charged for an additional day. When the guest chooses the start and end times when booking, the system will automatically present the applicable pricing.
This structure applies to any new trip or extension. Our article on extensions provides more information.
The guest must return the car at the scheduled time. If no extension is booked, and the car isn't returned, the guest is liable for substantial late fees.
Let’s assume that the total daily trip cost (trip price, trip fee, and protection level chosen) is $34/day for each day of the trip.
Example 1: Scenarios for a typical weekend trip
- Guest books a trip to start Friday at 5 pm and end Sunday at 3 pm.
Trip total: $68 (2 days).
- Guest books a trip to start Friday at 5 pm and end Sunday at 7 pm.
Trip total: still $68.
- Guest books a trip to start Friday at 5 pm and end Sunday at 7:15 pm.
Trip total: $102, since now it’s 3 days.
Example 2: Extension scenarios
- This same guest from 1.a. realizes at noon on Sunday that they won’t be back until 5 pm. The guest needs to request an extension for the additional time; -- and if approved by the host, book the extension before the current trip ends -- for this additional time. The car needs to be back at 5 pm.
Extension costs an additional $25 change fee; trip total: $93
- The same guest realizes at noon they won’t return until 9 pm. The guest must request and book the extension to 9 pm, and return the car at 9.
Extension costs $34 (1 day, no change fee); trip total: $102
Example 3: Late return
The same guest from 2.a. (scheduled to return at 3 pm) realizes at noon they that won’t be back until 5 pm, but does not successfully book an extension. They return the car at 5 pm. This inconveniences and concerns the host, may impact future guests, and will reduce or invalidate the protection that the guest previously selected.
Late fee: $100 (2 hours @ $50/hour); trip total $168.