For rentals in Canada, please click here for a simple description of insurance coverage.
Insurance isn’t simple, but let us try to explain it as simply as possible. As long as you’re in compliance with the Terms of Service (including the requirement for the host to check that the guest has a valid driver's license, take the required photos of your vehicle before a trip begins and after a trip ends, etc) and protection for the trip is provided via Turo, not the vehicle host's own commercial rental insurance, the following protections apply:
- Rental Period (i.e., the period shown in the trip confirmation). Primary liability coverage up to $1,000,000; protection for physical damage to your car is provided without deductible for the "Premium" and "Standard" host protection plans, and with a $3,000 deductible for the "Basic" plan. No coverage is available for hosts who are not utilizing a Turo protection plan.
- Delivery Period (i.e., when the host (or designee), who is a Turo Approved Driver is actively delivering the car to the guest, and not while retrieving the car from the guest). Primary liability coverage up to $1,000,000; no protection for physical damage to your car. No coverage is available for hosts who are not utilizing a Turo protection plan.
- Primary guest:
- Premium Package: Liability coverage up to $1,000,000; physical damage to the car covered up to the actual cash value of the car. In each case, coverage is secondary to any other insurance you may already have. There is no deductible for the supplemental liability coverage; for the physical damage protection, once you’ve exhausted your own insurance for physical damage, your out-of-pocket exposure is limited to $500. There is no coverage in any guest package (i.e., you are fully financially responsible) for mechanical or interior damage.
- Basic Package: Liability coverage up to the minimum required by the state where the car is registered. Physical damage deductible is $3000.
- Decline Coverage: Same liability coverage as in the Basic Package, but no protection at all for physical damage: the guest is liable for all costs related to physical damage to the vehicle.
- If you have rented a vehicle where the host is not utilizing a Turo protection package and has chosen to provide its own commercial rental insurance directly to you, please consult the listings and/or inquire with the host to understand the coverage limits, exclusions, and applicable costs, if any. You may view more information about host-provided insurance here.