Turo assesses penalties for owners who cancel booked, including instant booked, trips. Travelers are counting on owners to keep their commitments for their trips, and Turo is counting on our owners to deliver great experiences for our marketplace.
For details on how to cancel a trip as an owner and what our owner cancellation penalties are, please visit this FAQ.
There are some circumstances in which Turo may, at its sole discretion, waive these cancellation penalties. These circumstances may include:
- The owner cancellation was due to a previous Turo rental that caused the next trip to not occur (e.g. damage, late return). Please note that canceling one Turo trip to allow another Turo trip to extend is prohibited, however.
- The owner cancellation was due to a natural disaster, a death in the family, or serious injury which has been verified by Turo.
- The traveler rebooked another trip with that specific owner.
- Owner fears for the safety of their vehicle and/or themselves on reasonable grounds (Owners should select the “I’m uncomfortable with this trip” option in this circumstance so that Turo is alerted to the situation. This option is only available for Book Instantly trips).
- The traveler specified in Turo messaging that they intended to engage in a policy violation during the booked trip.
Turo will make the determination to waive a cancellation penalty based on available evidence in its sole discretion; we do not guarantee that the cancellation penalty will always be waived in the examples noted above. Turo will not waive cancellation penalties for other circumstances not listed here.
If you are an owner who would like a cancellation penalty waived for one of the above reasons, please contact our customer support team and we will review your request.
Owners who repeatedly cancel trips on customers regardless of reason, or owners who encourage their travelers to cancel their trips themselves so as to avoid these penalties, may receive additional fines and may have their account suspended.
For tips on how owners can prevent canceling trips, please feel free to contact customer support.