Owners may have technology installed in their vehicles, including, but not limited to:
- GPS (tracks location)
- Telematics (tracks driving behavior- speeding, hard braking, acceleration, etc.)
- Lo-jack or disabling technology
- Camera(s) with view(s) of the exterior of the car
- Camera(s) with view(s) of the interior of the car
Owners must disclose in the listing if the vehicle has interior view camera(s) (e.g. inward facing dashcam). Owners must receive explicit consent from travelers if they intend to turn on this device during a reservation. We recommend obtaining consent via Turo messaging to establish this consent was received.
What if the device data makes an owner concerned about how the traveler is using the car?
- Owners should first contact Customer Support to let them know they are concerned about the driving behavior. Owner should provide specific data and explain why they are concerned about the traveler’s driving behavior.
- If Turo receives data involving reckless driving or driving off-road, Turo will take iappropriate action, in its sole discretion, which may include requesting that the traveler return the car early or other account level action (such as suspending the traveler’s Turo account).
What if a traveler doesn’t want to rent a car with a device?
- The traveler should select a vehicle that does not indicate an interior facing camera in the listing.
- A traveler may not tamper with, disable, or remove any devices from the car. If a traveler tampers with, disables, or removes a device Turo will take, in its sole discretion, appropriate actions, including, but not limited to, account suspension law enforcement referral, charge the traveler an administrative fee of up to $5000, and/or invoice the traveler the actual costs or repairing or replacing the device(s).*
Can Turo use data from devices?
- Turo has the right to use the location data to recover a car (such as if the vehicle is missing or the traveler fails to return the vehicle at the end of the reservation).
- If Turo receives a report of report of reckless driving or other irresponsible or dangerous behavior, Turo reserves the right to end the trip early, suspend the traveler’s account, and this behavior may reduce or void coverage under the traveler’s protection plan.
What happens if an owner doesn’t disclose that an interior facing camera is in the vehicle or doesn’t receive explicit consent to use internal cameras during a reservation?
- Turo has the right to handle this situation in its sole discretion. Consequences may include, but are not limited to, a warning or account level action such as account suspension.
*Owner devices are not covered by Turo protection packages. In the event a supplementary device is destroyed or damaged, an owner's protection package will not apply.