WHAT DEVICES MAY I USE?
Hosts may have technology installed in their vehicles, including, but not limited to:
- GPS (tracks location)
- Telematics (tracks driving behavior- speeding, hard braking, acceleration, etc.)
- Lo-jack or disabling technology
- Dashboard cameras (dashcams) - camera(s) with view(s) of the car’s interior
- Camera(s) with view(s) of the car’s exterior
Hosts must disclose in the listing if their vehicle has a dashcam(s). Hosts must receive clear written consent from guests if they intend to turn on this device during a trip. We advise using Turo messaging to ask for and receive consent so there is a record on file.
HOW DO I REPORT CONCERNS ABOUT GUEST BEHAVIOR?
Hosts should first contact Customer Support to report concerns about a guest’s driving behavior. Hosts should provide key data and explain why their concerns in detail.
- If a host submits data that shows reckless or off-road driving, Turo, at its discretion, will take proper action. This may include asking the guest to return the car early or other account-level action, such as suspending the guest’s Turo account.
WHAT IF A GUEST DOESN’T WANT TO BOOK A CAR WITH A DEVICE?
- The guest should select a vehicle that is listed without a dashcam.
- A guest may not tamper with, disable, or remove any devices from the car. If a guest tampers with, disables, or removes a device, Turo, at its discretion, will take proper actions. These may include, but are not limited to, suspending the guest’s Turo account, referring the guest to law enforcement, charging the guest an administrative fee of up to $5000, and/or invoicing the guest the true cost of repairing or replacing the device(s).*
CAN TURO USE DATA FROM DEVICES?
- Turo has the right to use the location data to recover a car. (For example, if the vehicle is missing or the guest fails to return the vehicle at the end of the trip booking).
- If Turo receives a report of reckless driving or other careless or unsafe behavior, Turo reserves the right to end the trip early, suspend the guest’s account, and reduce or void coverage under the guest’s protection plan.
- In the UK, Turo has the right to share dashcam and telematics data with insurers.
WHAT IF A HOST FAILS TO DISCLOSE THE USE OF A DASHCAM OR DOES NOT GET THE GUEST’S CONSENT TO USE IT DURING A TRIP?
Turo has the right to handle these cases at its sole discretion. Consequences may include but are not limited to, a warning or account-level action such as account suspension.
*Host devices are not covered by Turo protection plans. If an add-on device is damaged or destroyed, a host's protection plan will not apply.