Turo permits you to have tracking and other technology installed in your vehicles. Keep in mind that aftermarket devices aren’t covered by any protection plan available through Turo. Permitted devices include, but aren’t limited to:
- Lojack or disabling technology
- Dashboard cameras (dashcams)
- Cameras with views of the car’s exterior
Disclosure to guests
If you have a dashcam and plan to turn it on during a trip, you must receive clear, written consent from your guest via Turo messaging. If you don’t disclose the dashcam and/or use the camera without a guest’s written consent in Turo messaging, we may suspend your account.
If you’re a host in the UK and have equipped your vehicle with a device that collects driving data, (e.g., vehicle performance, location, driving behavior) or records your guest’s image, you must disclose that information in the “Car description” field in the “Details” section of your vehicle listing. If you don’t disclose these devices we may, at our sole discretion, take action, including closing your account.
You can copy and use this message in your vehicle listing to inform your guests about tracking or recording device in your vehicle: “Please note: this car is equipped with a security device that collects driving data. This includes vehicle location, mileage, driving behaviour, and time driven. This information may be shared with third parties for vehicle recovery or insurance purposes.”
Concerns about guest behavior
If you have concerns about a guest’s driving behavior, contact Turo Support. Be prepared to submit supporting evidence, if any. If we determine the guest engaged in any Prohibited uses, Turo, at its discretion, will take proper action, and may require the guest to return the car early.
Turo’s use of device data
Turo has the right to use device data in the following circumstances:
- To recover a car (i.e. if the vehicle is missing or the guest fails to return the vehicle at the end of the trip)
- To end the trip early, suspend a guest’s account, and/or reduce or void coverage under the guest’s protection plan if Turo receives a report of reckless driving or other careless or unsafe behavior
- To share dashcam and telematics data with insurers in the UK