What devices are permitted?
Hosts may have tracking and other technology installed in their vehicles, including, but not limited to:
- GPS (tracks location)
- Telematics (tracks driving behavior- speeding, hard braking, acceleration, etc.)
- Lojack or disabling technology
- Dashboard cameras (dashcams) - camera(s) with view(s) of the car’s interior
- Camera(s) with view(s) of the car’s exterior
You must disclose in the listing if your vehicle has a dashcam(s). If you intend to turn a dashcam on during a trip, you must receive clear written consent from your guest to do so. We advise using Turo messaging to ask for and receive consent so there’s a record of the guest’s response on file.
Hosts who don’t disclose a vehicle’s dashcam and/or use the camera without a guest’s consent will face consequences that may include, but are not limited to, a warning or account-level action such as account suspension. Turo has the right to handle these cases at its sole discretion.
Concerns about guest behavior
If you have concerns about a guest’s driving behavior, contact Support and explain your concerns in detail and share your supporting data. If the data you provide shows reckless or off-road driving, Turo, at its discretion, will take proper action. This may include asking the guest to return the car early or suspending the guest’s Turo account.
A guest may not tamper with, disable, or remove any devices from the car. If a guest tampers with, disables, or removes a device, Turo, at its discretion, will take proper actions. These may include, but are not limited to, suspending the guest’s Turo account, referring the guest to law enforcement, charging the guest an administrative fee of up to $5000, and/or invoicing the guest the true cost of repairing or replacing the device(s).
Aftermarket host devices are not covered by Turo protection plans. If an add-on device is damaged or destroyed, a host's protection plan will not apply.
Can Turo use data from a device?
Turo has the right to use device data in the following circumstances:
- Turo has the right to use the location data to recover a car. (For example, if the vehicle is missing or the guest fails to return the vehicle at the end of the trip booking.)
- If Turo receives a report of reckless driving or other careless or unsafe behavior, Turo reserves the right to end the trip early, suspend the guest’s account, and reduce or void coverage under the guest’s protection plan.
- In the UK, Turo has the right to share dashcam and telematics data with insurers.