Turo is available in the United States, select provinces of Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom, and many other countries. In Canada, your ability to list your car on Turo (and benefit from a protection plan) depends on who your personal insurance provider is and what type of insurance you have for your vehicle. Please read on for more information.
If you are a vehicle owner in Alberta, Ontario, or Quebec with a personal insurance policy:
- Although your personal insurance will not be used during a Turo transaction, your personal insurer must approve of your participation in person-to-person car sharing. You must verify with your insurer that you may participate in Turo’s marketplace. If you do not provide approval from your personal insurance provider, your personal policy may be voided, and you will be unable to obtain a new policy.
- In Canada, only certain auto insurers allow their policyholders to participate in car sharing. To see a list of approved insurers, please click here. Even if your insurance is provided by one of the companies listed, you must still notify them if you want to list your vehicle on Turo.
- You may not list your cars outside the provinces of Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec.
- Liability insurance provided by Intact Financial Services covers up to CA$2,000,000 for third party liability for a Turo transaction.
If you are a vehicle owner and you have a commercial rental policy:
- Any commercial rental insurance policy that meets Turo’s requirements may enroll in Turo’s Commercial Hosts program, as long as your insurance provider is okay with it.
- If you list any vehicle and decline a protection plan in order to offer your own commercial rental insurance directly to your guest, any other car(s) you list on Turo will be automatically set to decline a protection plan and you will be providing your own commercial rental insurance to your guests for any trips.
- You may only list your vehicle(s) in the province where you are registered and insured.
For more information about person-to-person car sharing in Turo in Canada, please read this article.
For more information on being a Commercial Host, please read this article.