Turo is available in the United States, select provinces of Canada, Germany, and many other countries. In Canada, your ability to list your car on Turo (and benefit from a protection plan) depends on who your personal insurance provider is and what type of insurance you have for your vehicle. Please read on for more information.
1: If you are a vehicle owner in Alberta, Ontario, or Quebec with a personal insurance policy:
- Although your personal insurance will not be used during a Turo transaction, your personal insurer must approve of your participation in person-to-person car sharing. You are required to verify with your insurer if you may participate in Turo’s marketplace. Failure to obtain approval from your personal insurance provider may result in the voiding of your personal policy and the inability to obtain a new policy.
- In Canada, only certain auto insurers allow their policyholders to participate in car sharing and share their cars out to other guests on Turo. To see a list of approved insurers, please click here. Even if your insurance is provided by one of the companies listed, you must still notify them of your intention to list your vehicle on Turo.
- You may not list your cars outside the provinces of Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec.
- Liability insurance provided by Intact Financial Services covers up to $2,000,000 for third party liability for a Turo transaction.
2: If you are a vehicle owner and you have a commercial rental policy:
- Any commercial rental insurance policy that meets Turo’s requirements may enroll in Turo’s Commercial Hosts program, as long as your insurance provider is okay with it.
- If you list any vehicle and decline a protection plan in order to offer your own commercial rental insurance directly to your guest, any additional car(s) you list on Turo will be automatically set to decline a protection plan and you will be providing your own commercial rental insurance to your guests for any trips.
- You may only list your vehicle(s) in the province where you are registered and insured.
For more information about person-to-person car sharing in Turo in Canada, please read this article.
For more information on being a Commercial Host, please read this article.